I came up with this new oatmeal recipe after speaking with my dad. As part of his new year’s resolution, he’s decided to eat healthier and start eating some vegan meals. So, I began to think of some healthy foods that my dad enjoys and thought about their delicious combinations. Bananas are one of his favourite fruits, so I paired it with mixed seeds for some protein. I also thought agave syrup would make a great addition as it is a healthy unrefined sweetener that I find really compliments the creamy taste of bananas, without being too overpowering. If you’re looking for a fantastic balanced breakfast that will provide you with all the nutrients you need to start the day well and feel full for longer, then this is for you!
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 50g of oats
- 200ml of almond milk (or another dairy free milk of your choice)
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp’s of mixed seeds (I used sunflower, pumpkin and poppy seeds)
- 1 tbsp of agave syrup (or another sweetener of your choice, such as honey or maple syrup)
- Place the oats and almond milk into a pan and simmer over a medium heat. The mix should be regularly stirred so that the oats don’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Once the mixture has thickened to your preferred consistency (which can take between 5 to 10 minutes depending on your preferences), take the mixture off the heat.
- Put your oatmeal into a serving bowl.
- Slice the banana into slices.
- Top your oatmeal with the banana slices, mixed seeds and then drizzle with agave syrup and enjoy!